Friday, June 11, 2004

Brussels Day 4 – pt 3: The Beer

Am I ready? It is ready for me: Trappist Westvleteran Abt 12, Yellow Cap. Dark brown, deep brown, ready it sits before me. Will I be disappointed? Will the three lies told to three monks be all for naught? Perhaps I will hate the first sip and grow to love it by the last, or will I love it first and quickly find my affection crumbling to hate? So many possibilities. Here we go.

How can a beer be so much at once? It is a mixing bowl of flavor. The taste is not entirely constant, it shifts like a rainbow in a waterfall. So strong, but somehow smooth. Nutty, fruity, dark and chewy.

This is an experience, not a beer. This cannot go directly to the back of your throat, your mouth does not allow it. It lust be held, rolled on the tongue. This is not a drinking beer, it is a sipping beer. This is its only fault, if indeed this is a fault. Dark Island could be savored by itself or along with dinner. This beer is more of a dessert.

I have enjoyed beer more. I think. But this is the most intense a beer I have ever drunk. It tastes intense. Every sip tastes different. I thought only Willy Wonka could create something like this. Brewed and bottled 4 days ago. 3 days ago, did someone lie to a monk for me? Thank you, Westvleteran Trappist monks, thank you. I hope you will forgive my offense.

I have one sip left, maybe two. This is the best beer I have ever tasted. I concede, it beats Dark Island. I admit, I had not expected to concede tonight. I have two more bottles. I am so glad I bought 3. One is for my family, for their love allowed me to taste this. The second bottle I am still considering plans for. I’m not sure what I will do with it, but it will make it home, of that much I’m sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home