Thursday, June 10, 2004

Amsterdam Day 2: The City that never Wakes


For reasons I could speculate, but will not, Amsterdam seems to be a city that likes to sleep in. The museum across from where I write this does not open until 11, evidently. This strikes me as rather strange.

Is there anyone who actually lives here aside from the bum sleeping on the monument steps? Or is this place simply a long-running Jamaican-themed frat party? I get the feeling that speaking English here is, if anything, less common than in Belgium. But if this is the case, you wouldn’t know it from walking the red-light district, where in many places things are written in English and in English alone. I feel like I’ve stepped into Disneyland for horny stoners. Americans, in particular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home