Thursday, June 10, 2004

Amsterdam Day 3: Time to Start Appreciating It


As with Belgium, I think I’ve been too harsh on Amsterdam in my initial assessment. Having been here several days now, I think that the Red Light District, traditionally the sort of area associated with slums and general poverty, is a tourist attraction in Amsterdam and thus is treated as such by the city. Places like the Red Light District in DC and in New York, they’re not the best places to go at night. I also think that all the area around the hostel I’m staying at (recall the red light district is in my back yard) are simply dozens of square blocks in every direction of tourist residency. In Amsterdam that means that I’m living in the world’s biggest frat party.

It’s sad to me that Amsterdam’s global leadership in the realm of drug tolerance and tolerance for the sex trade had to turn out this way. Because so few others tolerate it, Amsterdam’s tolerance has been exploited, until the name of Amsterdam is associated with exploitation of drug tolerance. I can’t help but feel Amsterdam did a responsible thing in refusing to view marijuana use, cultivation, or ownership as a criminal offense. But in the global community it is the only legal supply to the world’s demand. I feel kind of bad for the patriotic Netherlanders who has to live with what their country’s most prominent reputation has become. If only they had gained it for their tolerance rather than their fine fine pipeweed. Oh well.

When I started writing that I was enjoying a lovely late breakfast of mocha and a French Brie and baguette sandwich. Mmm. What a way to start the day. Now I am in Harlaam, eating lunch at Jill’s Restaurant in Central Square. I haven’t seen much of Harlaam yet, but it seems nice so far. Nothing I’ve seen is spectacular thus far, but it feels good just to be away from the tourist area of the Red Light District, and I like the feel of this area of the Netherlands.

I can’t believe I’m oin my 3rd day already. I feel like I just got here. Today marks a week I’ve been travelling alone. Nine more days to go: one here, three in Berlin, two in Munich, and then I end off the trip with three days in Geneva.

It’s always weird when things I’ve been looking forward to for a long time finally happen. Time continues to pass as if there had never been such a build up to these events. And then the day passes and as you sink into sleep you think to yourself “Huh… I never really expected this day to come. And now it’s gone.”

Time to make this last day last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home