Thursday, June 10, 2004

Amsterdam Day 4: the Hague


I woke up a little late today, not the best of days, given the amount I have to do today. I want to explore Hague, , do my laundry, take a tour of Amsterdam’s canals by boat, and do some present shopping now that I’m nearing the half way point of my journey.

So I’m here having a leisurely lunch here in the Hague Central Square. There’s a McDonalds here too, as there is at Harlaam Central Square and in Amsterdam Square. But at least in Amsterdam Square there was a bagpiper yesterday. I enjoyed listening to him very much, although he did make me mourn for Scotland. I shouldn’t be missing one place while visiting another, especially when I may never get to visit the latter again, or not for many many years at any rate.

Isn’t it sad? I’m still travelling, not half way through my trip, and I just want to go back to the Isle of Skye or the Orkneys.

But back to the Hague. There are many bards here (or bums as they’re more commonly known as these days). Just walking from the train there were 4 different people playing the violin or guitar. Does that mean poverty in this area? I haven’t really seen anyone who meets the profile I have of a bum. There have been people who have asked for money of course, but they haven’t looked in particularly bad condition, and I have suspected that for the most part they’re either faux bums, or else bums are simply better taken care of then in my part of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home