Thursday, June 10, 2004



Sadly, the Amsterdam history museum was not as interesting as my visit stop. It was large, and indeed I spent many many hours exploring it. But having seen it, I feel it wasn’t entirely worth the price of admission, though it did make me realize that all the symbolism appearing in the palace was typical of Amsterdam throughout the ages.

Greek gods and their mythology played a major part in much of their artwork, and this is the artwork of the history museum. . There was a delightful picture of Neptune making council with the naval commanders of Holland for instance.

After that I found dinner with a startling discovery that I really should have known – just about everyone here speaks English. I found this out when I asked my server at the pizza place I ate at if he spoke English.

For a moment he looked confused, and then he looked me right in the eyes and said “no” in a very serious tone. He then proceeded to laugh his head off and asked me why I would ask such a question. “Of course I speak English!” he said “I was born to speak English!” When I told him that many locals did not seem to speak English, he told me that he thought those people were stupid. He said everyone was made to learn English as one of three languages they force you to learn in school. Well, I guess it’s still my first day.

Contrary to what one expects in Amsterdam, my biggest problem here is that I just need to relax.

Yesterday, when I was lost and looking for my hostel, a nice young man came up, introduced himself, and offered to show me to my hostel. Now, I think it only made sense that I found his actions somewhat suspect. People acting overly friendly to obvious travelers in big cities are not to be easily trusted, it’s tourism 101. When you’re clearly lost, I’d say that goes double. But my suspicions were clearly written on my face I think, and I definitely offended this nice man who did want money, but did not mention it until he had already led me to my hostel, and even then made no mention of any estimate. He left the valuation of his services, if indeed I chose to attach any to his good guidance, up to me. He just told me he had no place to sleep, and that if I could give what I could afford, he would be grateful.

I gave him 5 euros, and I wish him well. But I did not treat him in a curious way. Even as I accepted his help I regarded him as a thief or a mugger. I feel more than a little ashamed. It bodes badly for this world that acts of random kindness are the most suspicious acts of all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home