Wednesday, June 16, 2004

First Attempt at Sleep Abroad



Anyway, after finally finding our hotel (the willow hotel) we set out again for a very late lunch. We ate at an italian place called Dino’s. We wanted a more Scottish place, such as a good Scottish pub (which at least in Ireland tend to be pretty family oriented places which serve cheap food in addition to being a bar) . Sadly, most of the pubs we found seemed much closer to the American style of pub (smoky, crowded, unwelcoming, and without food). After roaming the city streets and finding 2 McDonalds, a Burger King, KFC, and an A&W, we caved and went to Dino’s.

The food wasn’t great, but there was some redeeming value, for I got to drink with my brother his first legal pint (the drinking age in Scotland is 16). Sadly it was Tennets, a beer I’d heard of before but don’t recall ever trying before. Personally, I’d be pressed to tell it from Budweiser. Still, a pint with your brother is a pint with your brother.

On a side note, have I mentioned how much I love my brother? I love my brother. I can’t remember quite when it happened, but somewhere along the line, the kid I constantly bickered with and who would just never go away became one of my best friends. I can think of few people in the world I would rather have with me here, and it makes me really happy to be able to honestly say that. We had planned on having a late lunch at Dino’s, but as neither of us had gotten any sleep on the plane, we passed out in our hotel room at 6 in the afternoon.

Sleep is odd here in Scotland. In Glascow it began getting light at 3:30am as it might at 5:30 in Maryland. Where I’m writing this in Skye (significantly north of Glascow) I watched the sunset at 11:30pm tonight. Jet lag is hard enough, but when late night in Skye looks like late afternoon in Maryland, I simply don’t know how to adjust. In any case, my brother and I went in and out of sleep until 10 the next morning. Near as I could tell, the partying outside stopped around 7am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home