Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The Isle of Skye




The next day was the sole day we had to spend in Skye, a fact I have great regret in reporting. In any case, it meant we had a full day’s worth ahead of us without question. We started out with a tour of Dunvegan’s island to spot wild seals. The tour, which left from Dunvegan Castle, also sported a marvelous view of the surrounding islands, mountains, and ocean. The boat tour guide was quirky, friendly, and full of knowledge. I was lucky enough to be the first to spot a seal.


When I loudly and excitedly pointed out a seal far in the distance, I think our guide almost laughed at me. Once we got into the cove I realized why. There, the notion that there would be a challenge to spotting seals became ludicrous. They practically lined the shores of the many tiny islands, basking in the sun (which we were fortunate to have much of) without a care in the world. Because they aren’t exactly dangerous creatures, the man was able to bring us within a few yards of them on several occasions. For the life of me I’ll never understand how those ovular tubes of blubber manage to look so cute. I think maybe it’s the whiskers or the large black eyes.

Apparently the females had all given birth only three days earlier. Our guide informed us that female seals give birth on a predictable synchronized fashion. Kind of creepy, isn’t it? So we were lucky enough to see many tiny tiny baby seal pups. We even saw one in the process of giving birth, though we didn’t stay to see the entire process. Honestly, it wasn’t as pleasant to watch as you might think.

If I got one thing out of the trip, it was the most envy I’ve ever had for an animal. These Scotland seals get to spend day after day lying on these rocks that have one of the world’s most astounding views, basking in the sun (when there is sun) with their shellfish prey lying on the bottom of the water in abundance. Their only predator is man and the occasional killer whale that wanders its way into the cove. Why do people talk like heaven and reincarnation or diametrically opposed ideas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home