Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Father's Day Pint

Did I mention it was fathers day? I convinced my father later that evening to let me take him out for a Father’s day pint with my brother. We noticed a pub that advertised having Orkney ales, and I hoped that it would have Dark Island on tap. The name of this pub was the State, and though it turned out to be a very pleasant and atmospheric pub, it had nothing made by the Orkney Brewery I so love. Both the bar and all the furniture seemed very upscale and classy, somehow it had a wallstreet-goes-drinking feel to it. But despite the upscale feel, 3 pints of good beer cost 6 pounds.

As a side note, drinking in Scotland is blissfully inexpensive compared to America. I’ve been sampling beer at almost every occasion because it’s not much more expensive than drinking soda. 2 pounds seems to buy a pint most anywhere. I think I’d be less averse to frequenting American pubs if the pubs didn’t charge 4 times what I could buy the beer for in stores. I’m going to miss Scotland’s pubs.

The beer of the night advertised to be from the Orkneys was called Kilburn Red. A little lighter than I usually like, but I was very fond of it, and it’s probably my favorite of the beers I’ve tried here. It has a funny almost fruit-like taste to it and was very tasty. Perhaps I’ll look for it again in the future.

Beer aside, my brother, father, and I had a long and wonderful evening of drinking and discussing psychology, politics, and feminism. It was a very nice was to end father’s day.

The morning sun saw my father, brother, and myself rise and take the long comedy of errors that was our walk to the car rental place. Once there, my father had the pleasure of attempting to drive on the left side of the road. Just watching almost gave me a heart attack, and I closed my eyes at least the first few times he had to take a left or a right. I can only imagine being the driver. Driving on the left hand side of the road is more disconcerting than I could have possibly imagined, but somehow we made it out of Glascow safe and sound.

It is now 3:14am in Skye, and it’s getting light again outside. I suspect it’s long past time I got me to bed. Goodnight,

~Allan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home