Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Day 2: Best Indian Food of my Life. Buh???


Once we dragged ourselves out of bed (as well we should after 16 hours of sleep) we found a cheap restaurant / pub in town after some solid searching of our area. Scott ordered a bacon cheeseburger, and I almost spit out my food laughing when he realized that there was ham on it instead (in the UK they call ham ‘bacon’, as we both knew from our visit to Ireland years ago, but had forgotten). I, myself, had a mint lamb burger (I’m not educated enough of the European meat industry to boycott it as I boycott America’s). I wasn’t too sure about the taste, but it may just be that I’m not used to lamb. I had a pint of Blackthorne’s dry cider with my meal. The taste was more subtle and less sweet than I’m used to in a cider, but I enjoyed it.

After that we went back to the hotel to await our parents imminent arrival. Through a bad miscommunication we expected our parents arrival around 1:30, when in fact they did not arrive until 5:30. So in essence, Scott and I spent our first full day in Scotland playing Settlers of Catan in our hotel room. However, given the limited experiences we had wandering Glascow, I can’t say as I feel overly much regret.

When finally our parents arrived, we hungrily departed to look for dinner. After a good deal of debate, my brother convinced everyone to try a gaudy looking Indian restaurant named the Kama Sutra. Who would have guessed that inside this tacky restaurant, with stick figures in vaguely suggesting positions all around the room, I would find the best Indian food I’ve ever had?

Now, my mother loves Indian food, and so I am familiar with a great many Indian restaurants in the D.C. area, and know which 3 or 4 are the best, and thus I am no stranger to Indian cuisine. No restaurant I’ve been to compares to Kama Sutra to my palate. One dish was so spicy that I discovered what I’d never before known: if the food is spicy enough it triggers my hickups. We all shared and I don’t remember what any of us had – only that it was wonderful and that my own dish was the spiciest thing I’ve had since the cafeteria played a prank on us in 10th grade.

Along with diner I had a bottle of an Indian lager the staff recommended. With a name like Cobra, I’d never have tried it if they hadn’t. I was pleasantly surprised with that as well. You can see through it easily, which means it’s not my usual type, but it had a good deal of substance to it, and I approved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home