Monday, June 07, 2004

Geneva Day 1: Absorbing the Ambiance

When I started on this journey, the one spot I wanted to visit most was Switzerland. I think this surprised most people I told it to, including my parents. Perhaps this is because I have never shown much interest in Swiss culture. Honestly, I have very little, although I certainly have no disinterest. But if there’s one conclusion I have reached from this trip, it is that Europe is undergoing rapid deculturalization and loss of identity.

Each city I’ve been to may have had strong eccentricities. But their differences are few compared to what they have in common. All across Europe American pop music is big, as is American cinema. In fact, it seems that American pop stars are as likely to be found in Europe as they are somewhere in their own country. Sure, the toilets may work a bit differently, and the sinks are a bit harder to operate, but for the most part Berlin and New York City seem pretty much the same.

So it is here in Geneva. What interested me in Switzerland, though, is the alleged beauty of the place, along with the way the Swiss government runs things. There are no slums and not much petty crime here. I confess, I am ignorant as to why there is so little poverty or crime here – it seems likely enough that all the impoverished just left because the cost of living was too enormous.

In point of fact, the prices here are as breath-taking as the views. Paying two dollars for a soda is an aspiration you have to shop around for. I spent a very long time searching for a lunch under ten bucks, and I found it, but I really had to search around for it. I would have given up the search much earlier, in fact, if I could only have found something for under twenty.

For all intents and purposes though, this place feels like a paradise. Towering mountains in the background; beautiful parks scattered everywhere. The buildings here look charming, every one of them. Even mainstream shipping streets have a relaxed and enjoyable quality to them, and for me that is a first.

Essentially I’ve just spent the day thus far wandering around, and it’s been nice. I’m glad because I‘ve been getting tired of running myself ragged on tourist outings. I chose Geneva for my last stop because its best known qualities are exactly what I’m appreciating right now: serene atmosphere and beautiful environment. This makes it a good place to end my trip, I think.

I’ve wandered into a park filled with chess sets of pieces that come up to my waist. How cool is that? I wish I’d has someone to play it with. Someone wrote ‘No war’ and ‘Fuck Bush’ on some of the pieces. They would have made good team names.

This is part of what I like about Switzerland. Everyone may tease them for their neutrality (I’ve made a few jokes myself) but I can’t say as don’t appreciate this reputation as well. The Red Cross started here, and since became both a humanitarian-focused organization and a political force of its own.

So the Swiss have no war, little in the way of poverty, very little violent crime, astounding beauty both natural and man-made, and I’m forced to wonder what’s not to like. Gandhi (who never lived in Switzerland) once said “be the change you want in the world”. I’ve always liked that philosophy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home