Saturday, June 12, 2004

Inverness: Just passing through


When our day of traveling was done we had reached a B&B in Inverness. The place was quaint and rather pretty, but I certainly missed the majesty of the isles. It was a short walk to the city for dinner.

Inverness City impressed me more than Glascow did, but not by much. It did have a friendlier heir though, and wandering the streets in search of dinner was probably the best part of dinner. This may in part be due to dinner, however.

We were the only people in the restaurant we entered. This is always a terrible sign, and it was kind of creepy too. There were two giggling girl bartender/waitresses, both with fake blonde hair. No other person entered the restaurant until the very end of our rather lengthy meal.

The dinner turned to somewhat of a playful argument as we waited for our food. See, Loch Ness was nearby, a sight my brother very much hoped to see. Culloden Battlefield, the location where the second and most successful Jacobite rebellion was crushed, was also nearby. Obviously I was in favor of seeing the field where the Jacobites fell. But the two locations were opposite each other, and my parents felt it best to see only one, as we had far still to travel to get to Edinburgh. But eventually we agreed to see both and do our best to see both places quickly. What can I say? Stubbornness runs in our veins.

After dinner, my brother and I led a post-dinner expedition to find a good pint (and make up for the crappy food at dinner). Sadly, we could find few good pubs in the area, and in an unfortunate accident we ended up at a sports bar, and the rest of my family spent most of the time watching some sports game on TV. I’ve never tried to swill a pint of good beer as quickly as the one I had that night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home